What Are The Best Scope For AR 10 Rifle? (2018 Updated)
What are the best scopes for an AR-10 rifle? There are so many options these days, and certainly the discussions have flown back and forth as to who does it best.
Personally, my uncle got me into Nikon scopes as a kid and I’ve always preferred them, but over the last five years I’ve come across a few others that I think are worth mentioning.
Through demoing numerous scopes at ranges, talking extensively with hunters, and incorporating my personal situation and preferences, I’ve compiled here the four best scopes for an AR-10.
All of these are worth considering, and I think that through applying your personal preferences you’ll find one here that meets your needs.
Top Our Pick For Best Scopes For Ar 10 In 2018
1. Vortex Optics Diamondback 4-12x40 Dead-Hold BDC Reticle - 1 Inch Tube (DBK-04-BDC) (Editor's Choice)
2. UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings (Good in price range)
Top 4 Best Scopes For AR 10 On The Market
This is my review about 4 scope for ar 10 on the market, it will help you find the best for hunting. Check it out:
1.UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings
When looking for the best scope for an AR-10, there is really only one viable option: the UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope. This scope, renowned for its accuracy and dependability in tough field situations, has risen as the cream of the crop for three main reasons:
- The zeroing capability: Not only is this scope extremely simple and straight forward when zeroing, it holds the zero better than any scope on the market. Add to this that it also is a great package value without the necessity to purchase a bunch of expensive add-ons in order to optimize, and you’ve got yourself a winner here. Even after removing the scope and then reattaching it, your aim will remain perfect. It makes a good shooter feel like a great shooter!
- It’s durability: Instead of obtaining a cheaply made scope and having to replace it every year or two (for avid users), this UTG scope will last a lifetime is properly cared for. The 3X zoom is good for zeroing on 50 yards and nailing the preferred part of the target from 100 yards no problem
- Performance: Take it out as far as 900 yards and back to zero without losing focus or confidence in what you are doing. The scope is easily mountable, easily adjustable, and easy to master even for new shooters
Overall, this UTG scope is the best scope for an AR-10 that you’ll find anywhere on the market. I’ve been using it for years without ever having to have maintenance done or want to switch it up. Honestly, I never even want to try another scope, period. This is the top of the line
2. Vortex Optics Diamondback 4-12x40 Dead-Hold BDC Reticle - 1 Inch Tube (DBK-04-BDC)
Vortex rockets itself onto the list of best scopes for an AR-10 with this Diamondback model.
These things are sleek and effective- I first bought one years ago and have since bought this model and love the optics (I am entering my fifties now).
The glass is perfectly viewable and takes little to no time to adjust to. The reticle is spot on and extremely life-like.
Here are the best features:
- The visibility and range of this scope are second to none
- Numerous rounds don’t offset the visibility or accuracy, unless you’re clunking the thing around a bunch. I’ve held zero for over 300 rounds and have friends who have done the same.
- I find the crosshair extremely helpful
- Tuning the sight to your liking takes just a few seconds
And what I don’t like:
- I'm so used to using Nikon and Leupold that it did take a moment to familiarize myself with set-up. That is the main disadvantage of Vortex, is that they aren’t as widely used and thus there aren’t as many of them out at the range if I feel like asking for advice.
3. Nikon M-308 4-16x42mm Riflescope w/ BDC 800 Reticle,Black
The Nikon M-308 is one of the best scopes for an AR 10 because of the quick-focus eyepiece.
Nikon definitely responded to feedback on eyepieces and went the extra mile with this one. The piece is rather versatile, functioning without dependence on barrel length and works on any .308 platform.
I really loved the image quality, especially considering the price point and size of this scope. It’s lightweight, easy to mount, and retains accuracy through several rounds of shooting.
- Clear optics and strong BDC reticle
- Great appearance in the water, enough to fool the uncanny hunter who hasn’t seen them before.
- Bore sighted and great sight picture, up to 1000 yards. Have we mentioned how great the visibility is?
- It’s very durable and will last many years. Nikon is putting out excellent scopes that are affordable and useful for hunters of all abilities
The down side:
Be sure to inquire as to whether your order includes the M308 mount. Some sellers include this in the purchase, others force you to buy it separately. It’s a much better deal when the mount is included.
4. Primary Arms 4-14 X 44 FFP Scope ACSS HUD .308 BDC Reticle PA4-14XFFP308
You are out the shooting and the reticle on your scope is fogged or otherwise detracting from optimal vision. Thinking you’ve got the target in range and zeroed, you fire anyway. But the shot misses, too high. Over and again, this keeps happening. Enter the Primary Arms 4-14 X 44 FFP Scope. After a quick installation, you’re back out there. Primary Arms solves the problems of tough zeroes and clouded view in the field.
Better accuracy through simple physics
The ACSS reticle is top notch, greatly benefitting the functionality of the scope. When shooting from 500-600 yards, closing the gap on those high shots and missing left or right is a breeze. You’d be hard-pressed to find another rifle scope that so easily eliminates that problem.
When shooting with an AR-10, or even those with Ruger or Remington models, this Primary Arms scope easily works with the measurements of the gun to hold zero and improve shot accuracy, even on moving targets.
Personal preference with the Primary Arms scope
Some shooters prefer minimum zoom with this scope, hoping only for slight adjustments to their original line of sight. But by sliding the zoom up a bit, it is incredibly easy to see a dramatic increase in target acquisition from 500+ yards.
These days, with shooters adding more gadgets to their setup, this scope cuts back on what owners need to carry into the field. If you find the weight of your gear is getting out of hand with stuff meant to improve accuracy, cut it all back and get this scope.
Putting the Primary Arms Rifle Scope to the test
Depending on what setup you’re using currently, this scope will help in these ways:
- Improve accuracy at the range and in the field
- Minimize need for add-ons
- Fit a variety of guns, specifically great for an AR-10
When needing a quick fix that won’t break the bank, this is the scope for you. It is among the best scopes for an AR-10.
These days, there are so many scopes on the market that choosing the best one can be challenge. I highly recommend going with the Nikon M-308 4-16x42mm Riflescope w/ BDC 800 Reticle,Black. There simply aren’t any drawbacks to this scope, from the time you open the box up through the 500th round you’ll fire.
It is the highest quality scope on the list here and by far the most effective anywhere near its price range.
I recommend you should read my post about best ar scope mount, it will give you a good mount for your ar 10 scope.
I’m interested to hear which best scope for ar 10 you end up going with – let’s get a discussion going in the comments here and if you enjoyed this article, please share on social media!